Friday, May 2, 2008

Trying to Forget (Poem #2)

Trying to Forget

My mind races faster than the speed of light
I flip the pages of the memory book that bring so much pain
I see and remember the different phases of my life
Yet I find that your face is not there.

My mind flashes back to a time before I remembered
Such a small child screaming for you to come home.
There she stood in the mirror tears streaking down her face
Praying to God, hoping he would make everything ok.

Slowly and whimsically, you disappear from the page
Just as you disappeared from my life.
It was only on weekends that I saw your face
Then with time, those weekends became years.

Each year I try to forget the pain you caused me
Forget those nights I cried myself to sleep on your behalf
Forget all those father days’s spent alone
Forget the man you used to be
Forget the father that use to forget his child.

No comments: